The University of Washington ranks among the top academic research institutions to receive National Institutes of Health (NIH) funding. There are a wealth of opportunities throughout WWAMI in basic science, clinical studies, translational research, and everything in between. The following resources are available to help you find a scholarly project:
- See our Research Database of Faculty Mentors interested in working with MS2, MS3, and MS4s.
- Check out our page of Featured Opportunities. This page is for students who have completed the III and are looking for other scholarly experiences.
- Review our list of funded opportunities, both short and year-long, here: 2021 Funded opportunities. We update this list every fall with local and national opportunities that also include stipends.
- Connect with your Foundation Site’s Research Advisor for help finding local mentors in your area of interest. If you are interested in a project at Foundation Site other than your own, please feel free to connect with that site’s advisor. We highly encourage cross-Foundation Site research!
- Alaska: Holly Martinson, PhD, email@example.com
- Idaho: Rusty Baker, PhD, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Montana: Martin Teintze, PhD, email@example.com
- Seattle: Cynthia Sprenger, PhD, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Spokane: Jen Towers,MA, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wyoming: Emily Schmitt, PhD, email@example.com
- Finally, the Institute of Translational Health Sciences is a collaborative of more than 6,500 researchers across WWAMI. If you are interested in translational or clinical research in a particular field, consider contacting the ITHS Research Navigator (here). For example, “I am a third-year medical student in Bozeman interested in biomedical informatics. Could we discuss where I might find opportunities for a research project this Fall?” The Navigator can set up meetings in person, by phone, or by Zoom.
If you do not find what you are looking for here, we invite you to discuss your interests further with the Director of Medical Student Scholarship. Email Meaghan O’Gilvie, Education Specialist, III/Medical Student Scholarship at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a meeting.