Academic Learning Specialists
The learning specialists assist students with a variety of issues related to academic advising including test-taking, study plans, improving study skills, coping with test anxiety, and referrals for further support. We also help students prepare for the United States Medical Licensing Exams (USMLE ). Additionally, various books and resources are available to students in a lending library. Dr. Yvonne Tyler currently serves as the lead academic learning specialist and she meets with Seattle students during Foundations and in preparation for Step 1. Additionally, she serves as a learning specialist for students at all sites as they prepare to take Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS of the USMLE. If you have questions about academic support or tutoring while you are studying for foundations or Step 1 contact the learning specialist at your site to learn more!
Academic Learning Specialists at each Foundations Site:
Regional learning specialists meet with students at their respective foundation sites during MS1 and MS2 years and in preparation for Step 1.
Seattle: Yvonne Tyler, M.D. email@example.com
Alaska: Shannon R. Uffenbeck, Ph.D. firstname.lastname@example.org
Montana: Jacqueline Wilson, M.D. email@example.com
Idaho: Lynda Freeman DHSc., MPH, MBA firstname.lastname@example.org
USMLE Updates During COVID-19
Click here to be redirected to the USMLE’s website for the latest announcements.
Tutoring is available to all medical students and is free of charge. In order to meet the needs of our diverse student population, most tutoring is available over Zoom. Ready? To set up a meeting with a tutor, please see the tutoring canvas page tutor list.
Disability Services and Accommodations
General Academic Support
- Check out this great website on skills and strategies for succeeding in medical school: academic support blog
Step 1 Resources
- Excellent website on resources, timeline, and preparing for test day: Step 1 Preparation website
- Step 1 Summer Study Webinar
- Summer 2020 Step 1 Book Club – recordings and presentations
Step 2 CK Resources
- “Transition to Clerkships: Intro to Step 2 CK & CS” recording
- “Transition to Clerkships: Intro to Step 2 CK & CS” presentation
- AOA Pearls – clerkship specific resources
- MS3 Step 2 CK Template Calendar