Academic Learning Specialists
The learning specialists assist students with a variety of issues related to academic advising including test-taking, study plans, improving study skills, coping with test anxiety, and referrals for further support. We also help students prepare for the United States Medical Licensing Exams (USMLE ).
Regional learning specialists meet with students at their respective foundation sites during MS1 and MS2 years and in preparation for Step 1. Dr. Brice and Dr. Tyler meet with clinical students for questions about shelf exams/Step 2.
Alaska: Shannon R. Uffenbeck, Ph.D. email@example.com
Idaho: Lynda Freeman DHSc., MPH, MBA firstname.lastname@example.org
Montana: Claire Mitchell, Ph.D. Email forthcoming. Please email Dr. Brice in the interim
Wyoming: Tracey Ann Haas, DO, MPH email@example.com
Disability Services and Accommodations
Tutoring is available to all medical students and is free of charge. In order to meet the needs of our diverse student population, all tutoring is available over Zoom. Ready?
General Academic Support
Skills and strategies for succeeding in medical school: https://sites.google.com/uw.edu/wwamiacademicsupp/home
Test-taking tips for multiple-choice exams: test-taking strategy
Check out these three study calendar ideas that put the learning science into practice.
- Flow Calendar Dr. Lynda Freeman
- Week to Week Calendar Dr. Yvonne Tyler
- MCBD Detailed Calendar Dr. Shannon Uffenbeck: includes B+B recommended videos
Step 1 Resources
- Our UWSOM website on preparing for test day: Step 1 Preparation website
- Sample Step 1 Study Calendar
- Step 1 Book Club – recordings and presentations
- Step 1 Delay FAQ
Step 2 CK Resources
- Step 2 CK study plan template: E19 Step 2 CK Study Plan Template
- AOA Pearls 2021 – clerkship specific resource recommendations for shelf prep and more
- AOA Pearls 2019 – clerkship specific resource recommendations for shelf prep and more