Academic Learning Specialists
The learning specialists assist students with a variety of issues related to academic advising including test-taking, study plans, improving study skills, coping with test anxiety, and referrals for further support. We also help students prepare for the United States Medical Licensing Exams (USMLE ). Dr. Yvonne Tyler currently serves as the lead academic learning specialist and she meets with Seattle students during Foundations and in preparation for Step 1. Additionally, she serves as a learning specialist for students at all sites as they prepare to take Step 2 CK and Step 2 CS of the USMLE. If you have questions about academic support or tutoring while you are studying for foundations or Step 1 contact the learning specialist at your site to learn more!
Academic Learning Specialists at each Foundations Site:
Regional learning specialists meet with students at their respective foundation sites during MS1 and MS2 years and in preparation for Step 1.
Seattle: Yvonne Tyler, M.D. email@example.com
Alaska: Shannon R. Uffenbeck, Ph.D. firstname.lastname@example.org
Montana: Jacqueline Wilson, M.D. email@example.com
Idaho: Lynda Freeman DHSc., MPH, MBA firstname.lastname@example.org
Disability Services and Accommodations
Tutoring is available to all medical students and is free of charge. In order to meet the needs of our diverse student population, all tutoring is available over Zoom. Ready? To set up a meeting with a tutor, please see the tutoring canvas page tutor list.
General Academic Support
Skills and strategies for succeeding in medical school: https://sites.google.com/uw.edu/wwamiacademicsupp/home
Test taking tips for multiple choice exams: test-taking strategy
Check out these three study calendar ideas that put the learning science into practice.
- Flow Calendar Dr. Lynda Freeman
- Week to Week Calendar Dr. Yvonne Tyler
- MCBD Detailed Calendar Dr. Shannon Uffenbeck: includes B+B recommended videos
Step 1 Resources
- Our UWSOM website on preparing for test day: Step 1 Preparation website
- Sample Step 1 Study Calendar
- Step 1 Book Club – recordings and presentations
- Step 1 Delay FAQ
Step 2 CK Resources
- Step 2 CK study plan template: E19 Step 2 CK Study Plan Template
- AOA Pearls – clerkship specific resource recommendations for shelf prep and more
- “Transition to Clerkships: Intro to Step 2 CK & CS” recording