Academic Support encompasses a broad array of services including learning strategies, test-taking skills, time management, advisement, as well as tutoring. Academic Support also provides special programming and opportunities designed to enrich academic experiences. Academic support is provided and available to all students in the School of Medicine regardless of status (enrolled or on leave), class (MS1-MS4), and WWAMI region.
- Individual Advising: Academic Support provides services that help students understand the greater purpose of their education, develop strategies for success, and develop an appreciation for lifelong learning. By consistently working together, the student and learning specialist work to bring out every student’s personal potential, explore areas of interest, and complete goals.
- Presentations: Academic Support provides informational presentations on registration for licensing exams, PreMat and Orientation, and Department updates.
- Academic Workshops: Academic Support provides workshops related to performance enhancement, student panels, creating a Step 1 or Step 2 study plan, accessing Disability Resources for Students (DRS), and more.
- Peer Tutoring: Academic Support houses the peer tutoring program. The program offers drop-in, group and individual tutoring to students as they advance through the curriculum. Group tutoring sessions are offered multiple times throughout the week and individual sessions are scheduled on an as-needed basis. Tutors consist of fellow peers who have mastered the content and have a passion for teaching and helping others.
- Referral Services: Academic Support provides customized referral services based on every individual student’s needs. Referral sources include Financial Aid, Disability Resources for Students (DRS), Counseling & Wellness Services, Career Advising, Registration, Proactive Advising, Curriculum, Foundations Deans, and more.
The learning specialists assist students with a variety of issues related to academic advising including test-taking, study plans, improving study skills, coping with test anxiety, and referrals for further support. We also help students prepare for the United States Medical Licensing Exams (USMLE ) – Step 1 and Step 2. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for general academic support questions.
Meet the WWAMI Academic Support Team
- Director of Academic Support: Erica Brice, Ph.D. email@example.com (Seattle)
- Alaska: Shannon R. Uffenbeck, Ph.D. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Idaho: Lynda Freeman DHSc., MPH, MBA email@example.com
- Montana: Martin Teintze, Ph.D. (Director) firstname.lastname@example.org
- Seattle: Yvonne Tyler, M.D. email@example.com
- Spokane: Jon Hammermeister, Ph.D. firstname.lastname@example.org; Ellie Davis email@example.com
- Wyoming: Tracey Ann Haas, DO, MPH firstname.lastname@example.org; Brant Schumaker, DVM, MPVM, Ph.D. (Director) email@example.com; John Willford (Asst. Director) firstname.lastname@example.org; Dana Govaerts, MD (FCM Lead) email@example.com
Meet with a Learning Specialist
Contact Academic Support
For general questions or concerns related to advising, tutoring or licensing exams, email our office account at firstname.lastname@example.org.