Explore and Focus Phase
Explore and Focus Phase Curriculum Resources
- Emergency Medicine – 4 weeks, 8 credits
- Neurology or Neurosurgery – 4 weeks, 8 credits
- Sub-Internship – 4 weeks, 8 credits
- Advanced Patient Care Clerkship – 4 weeks, 8 credits
- Clinical Electives – 20 weeks, 40 credits
- Transition to Residency – 2 weeks
See Academic Credits Requirements for full SOM Graduation requirement details. Graduation requirements may vary depending on entry year.
Please refer to the departmental websites for more detailed information about Required Explore & Focus Phase Clerkships.
The Explore & Focus Clerkship Catalog includes all potentially available elective, APC and Sub-I clerkships students can take during their MS4/Explore & Focus Phase.
Clerkship offerings and availability are determined by the department and site, and are subject to change. If you have questions regarding the availability of a specific clerkship, please contact the appropriate department.
- Elective Clerkship Overview
- APC and Sub-I Overview
- Permission-Only Clerkships
- Some clerkships require departmental permission to register, called Permission-Only clerkships. Permission-Only clerkships require you to obtain permission from the appropriate clerkship administrator before you can register for the elective. You can review which clerkships are permission-only in the Explore & Focus Catalog Permission List.
The WWAMI Track Program during the Explore & Focus Phase allows accepted students to be scheduled for 12 weeks in one specific state/region within WWAMI. Additional Information can be found on the WWAMI Track website. Please note the following for E&F Track:
- Accepted Patient Care Phase Track students are not automatically entered into Track for their Explore & Focus Phase; students must apply for an E&F Track spot if interested.
- If you are considering applying to an Emergency Medicine residency program, you must take MED EM 606 for your required EM rotation at HMC/UWMC in Seattle, and therefore should not apply for an Explore & Focus Track, since your EM rotation must be scheduled at your Track site. For additional details, please contact the Department of Emergency Medicine. Due to availability limitations, we are unable to offer exceptions.