How to Get Access to Electronic Medical Records
If you plan to do research that requires access to an electronic medical record (EMR), please coordinate this with your Faculty Mentor well before you plan to start your project. Below are tips for accessing the EMR of organizations that our students frequently work with. More information can be found on the UW Medicine Epic EHR Access website here.
UW Medical Center – Montlake
UW Medical Center – Northwest
Harborview Medical Center
UW Neighborhood Clinics
UW Specialty Clinics
Seattle Cancer Care Alliance
- Your mentor will need to submit this form to request access. Sponsoring faculty submitting the clinical request should select the User Type of ‘An IRB APPROVED RESEARCHER’.
- Complete any assigned training on the UW Learning Hub. Contact Phaedra Allen at email@example.com with questions regarding assigned trainings.
Seattle Children’s Hospital
- All students are on-boarded through the SCH Office for Teaching, Education and Research (OTER). Your mentor must request EMR access through OTER. Your access will be as a “student” or as a “researcher” depending on your registration status.
- If you or your mentor have any questions about this process, please contact Sara Fear, Medical Student Program Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The Providence Clinical Research Services Intake form is an important Providence procedure intended to safeguard students, patients and the hospital. The goal of the intake form and timing of the submission deadline is to assure that all the Providence research requirements are completed prior to a June research start date.
- Students will need to meet with their PI and submit the Providence Clinical Research Services Intake form on or before January 15. The form can be found here: https://washington.providence.org/locations-directory/p/providence-medical-research-center.
- As you fill out the form, note that it just needs to reflect the preliminary ideas from your PI meeting. Specifically, for the section on “Project Description” you could write something as simple as: “My study will log the frequency of preceptor frowning during clinical teaching rounds and compare the difference in student experience scores compared to frowning rates recorded”
- After submitting the form, the Providence Clinical Research manager will contact the student regarding their project. The manager will review with the student any data requirements and ensure the project scope is achievable within the Providence system. Additionally, submitting this form will alert the research manager to navigate the student to the IRB. The IRB staff will take an active role in guiding the student led research project through the sometimes-lengthy IRB process. Both of these will facilitate the student in building a more accurate timeline for their final project proposal.
- For questions, please contact Erin Van Antwerp (email@example.com)