MS3 Class Information – Aug. 17, 2023

Reminder: Keep your Service & Activity Tracker up to date

What it is: The Service & Activity Tracker is a place to record, on an ongoing-basis, information on all your extracurricular involvement and service learning/volunteer activities over the course of your four years at UWSOM.

Why/when this will be helpful: 

• An up-to-date tracker will help you to apply for the annual UWSOM Service Award. More details about this award will be sent out in the Spring, but it is important that students start tracking their service now.
  • During Foundations, students create a CV in preparation for  their residency application.. The information and reflections that you record in the Tracker will be instrumental in developing your CV. Use the CV template and resources on the career advising website.

To access the Tracker, go toService & Activity Tracker.

This link can also be found on the UWSOM Intranet and the Service Learning Canvas site.

To access your data: To find a summary of your activity data, go to this link and click on the Student Service and Activity Tracker box.

The school recommends that you keep your Tracker up to date in real time by inputting information each time you participate in an event or activity.

Career Advising updates

Office Hours: Career Advising Office Hours for next week, Aug. 21 to 24, will be dedicated to MS4’s questions about residency applications. If you have a time-sensitive question next week please email medadv@uw.edu instead of coming to Office Hours. A career advisor will get back to you within five days. Thank you for supporting our MS4s!

Meetings: Meanwhile, from mid-August to Oct. 3, the career advisors are very busy in 1-1 meetings with MS4s and prepping for fall advising. The advisors are not usually able to meet with other students during this time. If you have an urgent question or issue, please feel free to email medadv@uw.edu, and a career advisor will try to get back to you within five days. You are welcome to bring quick questions to Office Hours, but if your question can wait until after Oct. 3, that would help free up time for MS4s and the career advisors. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Important information from last week’s newsletter:

ICYMI: Women of Color on Clerkship Virtual Support Group meets Monday, Aug. 21

The next Women of Color on Clerkship Virtual Support Group meeting is Monday, Aug. 21, starting at 4 p.m. AK, 5 p.m. PT, 6 p.m. MT.

Here is a message from Satoko Takeda, UWSOM student counselor: I’d like to invite all self-identified women of color, currently on clerkships, to this support group. Clerkships can often be overwhelming, as they require additional physical, mental, and schedule adjustments to deal with issues related to being a BIPOC, female-identifying medical student.

This group is designed to provide a safe space for women of color to connect and support one another in sharing their experiences during clerkship; as well as personal, academic, and social settings. This is an opportunity for you to empower yourself and your fellow women-of-color colleagues.

Benefits of this group include, but are not limited to:

• Having a safe space to process unease and/or unpleasant emotions and thoughts
  • Receiving and providing supports to yourself and other women-of-color colleagues
  • Feeling refreshed and empowered to continue your study!

The group meets every third Monday of the month via Zoom. If you have any questions, or if you haven’t received the Zoom link, please contact staked@uw.edu.

“Tip of the Month” from the Career Advising Student Advisory Board

The Career Tip of the Month will return soon. 

In case you missed it, here is the previous issue of the student newsletter for MS3s.

Have a wonderful week!