MS1 Class Information – July 7, 2022

ICYMI from last week: Pre-orientation items

This is a reminder to complete all of your pre-orientation checklist items prior to starting orientation at your Foundations site. Please be sure to complete the following documents and upload them to the secured forms provided:

E22 Biographical and Career Preference Longitudinal Survey: In addition to the pre-orientation items, you should have received a link from somevals@uw.edu to complete a survey called the E22 Biographical and Career Preference Longitudinal Survey that will require approximately 25 to 30 minutes to complete.

The intent of the survey is to collect baseline data pertinent to the assessment of the School of Medicine’s curriculum and the School of Medicine’s mission within the WWAMI region. The data may also be used to suggest curricular augmentations and provision of ancillary support services.

Your responses to each of the inventories will be treated as confidential data, with aggregate data returned to the Dean’s Office and your class officers. Personally identifiable information will NOT be provided to either faculty members or administrators within the School of Medicine. While your participation in this data collection is entirely voluntary, it is very desirable that each of you completes each item, within each of the questionnaires. However, you may choose not to respond to any item, series of items, or either questionnaire.

Technology Orientation Canvas Page

As you get ready to start the school year in the coming weeks, UWSOM wants to make sure that you have the technology you need, as well as an orientation to the different software and systems you’ll need to use. In the time before you start Orientation at your Foundations site, we’re asking you to spend three to four hours going through required materials on our Technology Orientation Canvas site. Then, during Orientation, you’ll have a Zoom-based breakout session with one of our staff to make sure you have everything set up correctly and to give you a chance to ask questions.

All of the details and assignments can be found in our Canvas course: Summer 2022 Technology Orientation

ICYMI: Apply for testing/classroom accommodations now, if applicable 

If you need testing and/or other accommodations for medical school, contact the UW Disability Resources for Students (DRS) office now. All accommodations are processed through UW DRS, irrespective of your Foundations site. Review and approval of the accommodations application takes four to six weeks before accommodations can be implemented by the UW School of Medicine. Contact UW DRS as soon as possible to begin this process.  

In case you missed it: Here is a link to the June 30, 2022 Student Newsletter Information for MS1s.

Have a great week!