MS2 Class Information – March 31, 2022

Specialty exploration and residency planning during third-year clerkship videos   

The Career Advising team is happy to provide a new resource – two short videos to help you think through specialty exploration and residency planning during 3rd year clerkships.  

Video 1: 13 minutes 

• How to effectively use your 3rd year to explore and choose your specialty, understand the importance of parallel planning, strengthen your professional network and lay the foundation for residency, allowing you to navigate Patient Care Phase with specialty exploration and career decision making in mind.   

Video 2: 8 minutes 

• Reviews career exploration and residency application timelines, how to leverage your elective off block, and discusses your advising support team. 

In addition to these videos, we recommend you review and bookmark our website, specifically the Choosing a Career section, which is full of resources such as a Career Planning Timeline. The Guide to Residency Application Process is useful to understand what lies ahead, and the Letters of Recommendation page provides advice on asking for letters. 

If you have questions about your Step 1, how to use your elective block, and/or your specialty interests, please schedule an appointment or visit during our office hours (M-Th, 12-1pm PT via Zoom) https://uw-phi.zoom.us/j/761975716. We welcome you to reach out anytime. We are here to support you. 

Please take the Foundations Phase Survey if you haven’t already

You too could have the chance to win prizes worth up to $50

A message from Sara Kim, Associate Dean for Educational Quality Improvement: Wow, within a week, you helped raised the response rate to 44 percent from 31 percent last week. Thank you so much for those of you who took the time to complete the survey out of your busy schedule.

Looking at the regional campus breakdown, Montana continues to have the highest response rate of 53.3 percent (last week- 46.7 percent), followed by Alaska (47.4 percent vs. 36.8 percent), Wyoming (45 percent  vs. 25 percent), Seattle (43 percent vs. 30 percent), Gonzaga (42.4 percent vs. 25.4 percent), and Idaho (37.5 percent vs. 30 percent). Kudos to Wyoming for a 20 percentage point jump in the response rate in a week followed by Spokane, +17 percentage points, Seattle, +13 percentage points, and Alaska, +10% percentage points.

The survey link is emailed directly to you. Please know that your email address is only used for tracking and incentive purposes; your responses are anonymous.

This year, we are offering the following incentives for completing the survey:

• Two $50 items you select from Amazon
  • Twelve $25 items you select from Amazon
  • Three $50-value WWAMI gift packs

Career Advising Student Advisory Board Tip of the Month 

For many of you, rotations have started! Watch this 2-part video series on how you can lay the foundation for your residency application during the Patient Care Phase. Video 1: 13 minutes shows you to use clinical rotations to explore and Video 2: 8 minutes go over MS3 career planning and the residency application timeline.

Written by Career Advising Student Advisory Board member Shanelle Briggs and reviewed by a second BIPOC Board member, L’Oreal Kennedy.

In case you missed it:

Here is a link to the March 24, 2022 Student Newsletter content for MS2s.