MS1 Class Information – March 24, 2022

Saturday update: Webinar: Blackface, the Problem with Intention 

“Blackface: The Problem With Intention” will be led Friday, April 1, by Ayanna Thompson, PhD, a national expert on blackface. This UW Medicine webinar is one of several planned responses to address harm from a recently exposed blackface incident affecting our UW Medicine community. 

We’ll share a link to the recording of this webinar in a future newsletter.  

The webinar will provide a brief history and overview of blackface, moving from the Middle Ages to the 21st century. It will include an examination of several prominent cases involving public figures who have engaged in blackface and explore why effect and harm matter more than intention. 

Thompson is a Regents Professor of English at Arizona State University and the Director of the Arizona Center for Medieval & Renaissance Studies. In 2021, she was inducted into the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. She is the author of many books including “Blackface,” a 2022 Prose Award Finalist from the Association of American Publishers. 

The webinar is noon to 1:30 p.m. PT on Friday, April 1. Register at this link. Registration requires a UW Net ID or an email address at Fred Hutch, Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, Seattle Children’s, or Valley Medical Center. 

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. 

New MS1 Foundations drop-in tutoring

Think of it as “tutor office hours” where one to two tutors are present to answer your questions. Just show up! You don’t need to register, but you can if you’d like the email reminders. These sessions are not recorded.

E&H Group Tutoring Sessions Start March 29

Group tutoring continues with E&H! Sign up here for the Tuesday and Thursday sessions. All group sessions slides can be found in this OneDrive folder and recordings are in this Mediasite channel.

Seeking your help through a two-minute survey coming April 4

You may win a prize valued at $50 for taking the survey

A message from Sara Kim, Associate Dean for Educational Quality improvement (EQI), which oversees the medical school’s accreditation and continuous quality improvement initiatives:

“As you might have heard me say at the class meeting, our school is fully accredited with four citations to resolve in the following areas involving your satisfaction with:

• Sufficiency of information about the research opportunities in the Triple I program
• Quality of campus facilities
• Quality of academic advising
• Quality of guidance regarding accessing healthcare services (Only applicable to clinical students)

“The Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) that governs the medical schools’ accreditation in the United States is requiring our school to collect data from your cohort this year. On April 4, an email will be sent to you with a survey link. It will take less than two minutes of your time to complete the items. Your email address is used for the sole purpose of sending out reminders and will not be linked to your responses.

“We are offering the following incentives via a name drawing:
• Two $50 gifts (Student-selected item on Amazon)
• Twelve $25 gifts (Student-selected item on Amazon)

“We would love to achieve a response rate of 80 percent. Thank you in advance for your time and help.”

Career Advising Student Advisory Board – Tip of the Month

If you haven’t met with your Career Advisor yet, get your meeting scheduled between now and May at a time that works with your schedule! Your Career Advisor can talk with you about your specialty interests including the timing of when you’ll get connected with Specialty Advisors. Read the Extracurriculars section of the Specialty Guides for two specialties of interest to you.

Written by Career Advising Student Advisory Board member Shanelle Briggs and reviewed by a second BIPOC Board member, L’Oreal Kennedy.

In case you missed it: Here is a link to the March 17, 2022 Student Newsletter Information for MS1s.