MS3 Class Information – October 21, 2021

Step 2 CK Registration & Preparation Zoom Meeting

Academic Support would like to invite students to attend a Zoom talk about Step 2 CK Registration & Preparation on Monday, October 25, 2021 with presenters Dr. Erica Brice, Director of Academic Support, and Dr. Yvonne Tyler, Seattle Learning Specialist & Tutoring Program Manager.

When: Monday, October 25, 2021 @ 5:30 pm Alaska / 6:30 pm Pacific / 7:30 pm Mountain

Where: https://uw-phi.zoom.us/j/98531650869

The talk will be recorded and available to view on the Academic Support website for students who are unable to attend.

_____________________________________________________________________

Three Career Planning Resources to Assist You With 4th Year Planning

Career Advising has created three key resources/tools to support you in career planning for your 4th year:

1. Specialty Preference & Career Planning Survey

Thank you for submitting answers to this survey over the past week so that we can better understand your specialty preferences. The survey will run two more times – once in November and once in December.

2. Resources To help You Plan for Your E&F Registration Appointments: 

1. Review the Career Advising’s 4th Year Planning webpage and follow the instructions.
  2. Utilize the online Specialty Guides.
  • These contain 2021 updated information and replace the Career Advisors FAQ (purple PDF).
  • An enhanced resource with advice from Specialty Career Advisors on subinternships, APCs, electives, and preparing for residency application and interviews.

3. Use the Clinical Calendar for 4th Year Planning.

4. Review the “Guidelines for contacting Specialty Career Advisors,” on the Specialty Guides  page to prepare you for future meetings with your Specialty Career Advisor/s.

3. Advising

After reviewing these resources, Career Advising can help if you still have questions. Our 1:1 appointment availability is limited this fall as we are assisting the Registration Team with E&F scheduling due to staffing shortages. As you have urgent questions, please come to daily Office Hours. Email responses may be delayed during this time. Thank you for your patience.

_________________________________________________________________

Career Advising Student Advisory Board – Tip of the Month

Making your 4th year schedule can be difficult, but there are people who can help! You can meet with Career Advising and with people who have been in your shoes. 4th year students who applied to your specialty of interest, current residents, and physician mentors are great resources for scheduling advice! However, don’t stress too much about your schedule right now! You can always move it around up to six weeks before the start date…and almost everyone makes changes to their schedule as they develop interests over time and are in tune with when they’ll need breaks, more time for Step 2 studying, etc.

Written by Career Advising Student Advisory Board member, Shanelle Briggs and reviewed by a second BIPOC Board member, L’Oreal Kennedy.

_______________________________________________________________________

MS3s – In case you missed it:

Use this link to access the October 14, 2021 Student Newsletter. That issue included the following:

• For MS3s and students applying to Match 2023: Specialty Preference & Career Planning Survey
  • Vaccine Requirement for Students Rotating at VA Sites and Seattle Children’s