- AAMC’s Careers in Medicine Brochure: Four-step Career Planning Process & MS1-4 Checklist.
- AAMC Careers in Medicine website: Aims to support MS1-4 students throughout the career planning process.
- Career Advisors FAQ: Overview of advice on specialties from Departmental Career Advisors.
- UW Career & Internship Center Resources
- Academic Departments
Foundations Phase Resources
The following resources support MS 1 and 2 students as they take the first two steps in the career planning process:
Step 1 – Understand Yourself
Step 2 – Explore Your Options
- First and Second Year Preceptorships
- UWSOM Departmental Preceptorship Coordinators
- Student Organizations: learn about UWSOM student organizations that are dedicated to getting students familiar and connected with medical specialties.
- Student Orgs Specialty Interest Group Career Reflection Worksheet: this worksheet will guide you through a self-reflection as you attend specialty interest group events and programs.
- Karen Souter Career Coaching: Dr. Karen Souter offers individual coaching sessions for students interested in exploring their career choices and framing their decision-making process.
- Career Exploration Resources Handout: overview of key resources.
- Clinical and Research Opportunities: AAMC’s CiM database of clinical and research opportunities.
- Informal Interview Questions: use these questions as you interview physicians in different specialties to learn more about their career paths.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) Resources: resources as you develop your CV, includes sample CV’s and templates
- Prepping for the next phase: Patient Care Phase and Residency Applications: presentation explains important career planning factors to consider as students begin their clinical rotations.
- Career Advising UWSOM Referrals Cheat Sheet: this one-page lists key career advising UWSOM referrals, links and resources.
Patient Care and Explore & Focus Phase Resources
The following resources support MS 3 and 4 students as they take the final two steps in the career planning process:
Step 3 – Choose Your Specialty
Step 4 – Prepare for Residency
- Clinical Rotation Evaluation Worksheet: this worksheets supports self-reflection on each clinical rotation to assist in specialty choice.
- Personal Statement Worksheet: this worksheet supports brainstorming for Personal Statement development.
- Advanced Patient Care Clerkships (APCs): In this webinar, Co-Clerkship Directors of the Advanced Patient Care Clerkships, Dr. Susan Merel and Dr. Tomoko Sairenji will answer common questions of the Explore and Focus Phase requirements, describe key terms, how to choose APCs and identify resources.
- Suggested APC clerkships by specialty: These are suggestions for student preparation for internships and practice from Departmental Career Advisors and Dr. Merel’s and Dr. Sairenji’s knowledge as the clerkship directors of the APC; not intended as suggestions that will strengthen your residency application. Contact your departmental career advisor if you have any questions.
- Timeline for Residency Application: timeline of when important tasks need to be completed for residency applications.
- Personal Statement Webinars:
- Getting Ready to Start Your Personal Statement: This webinar provides a general overview of personal statements, including topics to discuss, format, brainstorming ideas and resources.
- Writing Your Personal Statement: This webinar dives deeper into content development and organization, tips for successful drafting, effective introductions and conclusions, and techniques for revising and proofreading your work.
- HOST Program: Help Our Students Travel program, provides fourth-year students with a free place to stay for one or more nights as they travel for residency interviews. Fill out the form on the site when you have confirmed an interview and the alumni association will do its best to find you a place to stay.
- Residency Interview Folders Library: NEW! This online library contains informational documents from hundreds of residency programs. All materials were collected by UW medical students during their interviews.
- NRMP – National Residency Matching Program Includes charting outcomes in the Match, data on the number of residency slots vs. the number of candidates applying, a review of the factors that influence acceptance into each specialty, average Step I scores, etc.
- Couples Match
- San Francisco Match – the matching program for ophthalmology.
- Urology Match – the matching program for Urology
- 2019 Match results from the UW School of Medicine
- 2018 Match results from the UW School of Medicine
- 2017 Match results from the UW School of Medicine
- 2016 Match results from the UW School of Medicine
- 2015 Match results from the UW School of Medicine
Specialties, Sub-specialties (Residencies and Fellowships) and Programs
- AAMC Careers in Medicine Specialty and Sub-specialty resource – List detailed information about 128 specialties and subspecialties, nature of work, training and residency requirements.
- FREIDA Online – A database with nearly 9,000 graduate medical education programs accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, as well as over 200 combined specialty programs. You can search by state, by specialty, etc.
- ERAS – Participating Specialties and Programs
Residency Application Resources
- ERAS: Electronic Residency Application Service