*This policy is waived during the 2020-2021 academic year due to COVID-19.
UWSOM medical students are required to successfully complete a minimum of eight weeks of Patient Care or Explore and Focus Phase clerkships at one or more of the following four medical centers:
- University of Washington Medical Center
- Harborview Medical Center
- Veterans Affairs Puget Sound Health Care System
- Seattle Children’s Hospital
The total weeks must be split across a minimum of two clinical clerkships and must be for a minimum of four weeks for each clerkship with the exception of students in the WWAMI Rural Integrated Training Experience (WRITE) program for which the inpatient parts of required clerkships spent at the above hospitals also apply, even if less than four weeks in length.
Requirements, Procedures and Guidelines
Every effort will be made during implementation to reduce potential negative impact from:
- Reduced time available to spend in special programs outside of Seattle,
- Reduced student flexibility and choice in their preferred clerkships,
- Unfilled clerkship sites in the region due to minimum time required in Seattle, and
- Future growth in cohort size at UWSOM due to space limitations in Seattle.
Find helpful videos for clerkship policies here.