Medical students MUST:
- Have their own unique login and password (not use their preceptor’s login and password) to chart in the EHR.
- Have access to:
- Review/update of the past, family/social history and ROS.
- Enter needed data into the EHR
- Search for patient data within the EHR
On average, students must have a minimum of one complete chart note (including assessment and plan) –per half-day on outpatient and per day on inpatient rotations–routed to the preceptor for feedback.
Medical students SHOULD:
- Have opportunities to pend medications, consultations and other orders.
- Become familiar with (if relevant / available):
- Selection of diagnoses, CPT/ICD codes, and how these are linked to billing
- Medication reconciliation and other tasks on admission and discharge
- Patient Centered Medical Home metrics, to which they may contribute
- Meaningful Use metrics, to which they may contribute
- Query functions that practices use for population management
DISCLAIMER: There will be exceptions to this policy.