Note: This policy will be implemented for the E-22 cohort and subsequent classes.
- All graded components with weight of 10% or greater are subject to approval by the Medical Education and Evaluation (MEE) assessment team.
- All exam questions are subject to approval by the MEE assessment team to ensure that they meet minimum quality standards.
- As per the UW Faculty Resource on Grading, attendance cannot be a graded component of the block.
- Multiple-choice exam pacing for MS1 students will be 30 questions/hour (2 min/question). Exam pacing for MS2 students will be USMLE pacing (40 questions/hour; 1.5 min/question). Anatomical pin tests will be 30 questions in 50 minutes.
- Blocks must have an exam at least every two weeks.
- All blocks will have a cumulative final examination. Blocks cannot schedule anything other than optional review sessions for the day prior to the final exam.
Assessment plans for basic science blocks will be created in consultation with the Director of Educational Evaluation and the Assistant Dean for Basic Science Curriculum. Preliminary assessment plans are approved by the Foundations Phase Committee as part of the Lessons Learned process. Assessment plans are finalized during the lockdown meeting for the block. Changes to assessment plans after the lockdown meeting are subject to the change management process.
USMLE: United States Medical Licensing Exam (e.g., Step 1, Step 2 CK)