Research/Non-Clinical Electives

Research and Independent Study- Non-Clinical Electives in the Clinical Phases
Some departments offer courses for independent study and research. Contact the Clerkship Administrator for the department you are interesting in doing research with to discuss your options. Courses require permission from the relevant department.

Students register themselves for research and independent study courses via MyUW and need both the SLN and a Faculty Add Code to complete the registration. Students can check the UW Time Schedule to access the SLN for the relevant course/quarter and departments provide students with a Faculty Add Code. Clerkship Administrators should have access to the Student Database (SDB) to obtain a Faculty Add Code.

Please note that research electives do not count towards clinical graduation requirements and students cannot request research rotations for Special Assignment Electives. Research Electives are not eligible for Financial Aid since there is no non-clinical elective requirement in the clinical phases. 

Departments offering research and independent study courses for medical students*:

  • Emergency Medicine: MED EM 600
  • Internal Medicine: MED 600
  • Ophthalmology: OPHTH 600
  • Otolaryngology: OTOHN 600
  • Neurology: NEURL 600
  • Pediatrics: PEDS 600
  • Psychiatry: PBSCI 600
  • Radiology: RADGY 600
  • Rehabilitation Medicine: REHAB 600
  • Surgery: SURG 600
  • Urology: UROL 600

*List subject to change and not a confirmation that a department has to offer the course to a student.  Students should work with departments to inquire about their specific potential non-clinical elective experience.