MS3 Class Information – Nov. 30, 2023

Time to register for USMLE Step 2 CK

It’s time to register for the USMLE Step 2 CK here.  There are materials to review in advance. For full information, see the email you received through the Medyr3ad Listserv on the afternoon of Monday, Nov. 27, 2023.

The email also describes a key presentation on Jan. 10, 2024. If you have questions regarding your enrollment/graduation dates or enrollment verification, please contact UWSOM Registration at somreg@uw.edu. If you have questions about the exam content, resources or study plans, please reach out to Academic Support at somlearn@uw.edu.

Summer opportunity for aging research in North Carolina

Apply for the University of North Carolina (UNC)-Chapel Hill Medical Students Training in Aging Research program by Jan. 22, 2024. The UNC-CH MSTAR program will provide medical students with an enriching experience in aging-related research and geriatrics during the summer of 2024.

Medical students who are members of groups underrepresented among medical researchers will be key in addressing health disparities for older adults. Therefore, students who are members of underrepresented ethnic or racial groups, students with disabilities, and students from disadvantaged backgrounds are encouraged to apply.

First-year medical students in good academic standing are eligible to apply if they have eight weeks during summer block available to dedicate to research in Chapel Hill, N.C. MS2s, MS3s, or those conducting a gap medical research year who can meet the same availability may also be eligible.

Interested students should email MSTAR@med.unc.edu for more information.

“Tip of the Month” from the Career Advising Student Advisory Board

As you know, third year is busy! Something you can do to thank your future self is to update your CV whenever you have some downtime (e.g., month off, “chill” rotation). Having a solid CV is necessary for away rotation applications that you’ll be preparing in the Winter for applying in the Spring. You’ll use this info almost word-for-word in ERAS when you’re applying.

Check out the CV page for videos and the CV template. As you are mapping out fourth year, use the Clinical Phase Planning Worksheet from Career Advising’s 4th Year Career Planning webpage. Then be sure to meet with your career advisor in November and December to go over specialty choice(s), if away rotations are expected/suggested, and discuss Visting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) – so you can start looking at away rotations and scholarships over winter break!!!

Read the Specialty Guides for your specialties and use the Course Catalog to see which Sub-Is, APCs, and electives you might want to take in fourth year.

• Reviewed by Career Advising Student Advisory BIPOC board member L’Oreal Kennedy. Originally written by BIPOC alum Shanelle Briggs.

In case you missed it, here is the previous issue of the student newsletter for MS3s.

Have a wonderful week!