Registration presents away rotations webinar on Wednesday, Feb. 15
A message from Registration: About to start your E&F phase? Interested in learning about away electives? Not sure what you need to do to find one, apply for it, and get credit toward your M.D. for it?
Join us at the Away Rotations Webinar on Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2023, at 5 p.m. AK, 6 p.m. PT and 7 p.m. MT. Check your inbox in the next few days for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org for the invite and Zoom link.
Register right away to get a place: Attend this AAMC student webinar to understand the VLSO system for applying to away rotations
With 2023-24 away rotations planning underway, the AAMC VSLO program is hosting a webinar for students on Thursday, Feb. 16, at 3 p.m. AK, 4 p.m. PT and 5 p.m. MT.
The webinar will address commonly asked questions about the away rotation process. Attendees will hear directly from a panel of host institutions to gain an understanding of their respective review and decision-making processes. There is a registration capacity of 3,000 participants and the recording will be posted on the VSLO home page shortly after the webinar. Registration for medical students is now available.
Apply by Friday, Feb. 17, for the Magnuson Scholars Program
- Sponsor: Warren G. Magnuson Institute for Biomedical Research and Health Professions Training
- School of Medicine internal deadline: Feb. 17, 2023
- Funding per scholar: About $32,000
- Want to know more? Read the full post about this program here
UWORLD offers discount to students if they sign up by Tuesday, Feb. 14
A notice from Academic Support: UWORLD has offered our students a discount for six-month, one-year or two-year Step 2 CK question bank subscriptions. Prices shown on the website are at the discounted price. This link is active through Feb. 14.
- Visit the UWSOM UWORLD discount landing page: https://webforms.uworld.com/l/875311/2022-12-05/3989g7
- Provide your name, UW email address and choose your Step 2 CK subscription choice
UWORLD is not offering adjustments or discounts on previously purchased subscriptions. If you have questions, please contact UWORLD here.
- To learn more about the UWORLD Step 2 CK question bank and its features please visit: https://medical.uworld.com/usmle/usmle-step-2-ck/
- To access the UWORLD Step 2 CK question bank demo please visit: https://www.uworld.com/courseapp/usmle/v4/demo/welcome/2
Final reminder, nominate your peers by Sunday, Feb. 12, for The Gold Humanism Honor Society (GHHS)
The Gold Humanism Honor Society (GHHS) is preparing to select its next class of student members for the upcoming year. Peer nomination is the critical first step in the selection process. You can get a lot more information in this post about the organization, the nomination process, and the election process.
Career Advising Student Advisory Board – Tip of the Month
You’re almost done with the Patient Care Phase! Ideally, you have narrowed down your career choices to one to two specialties with a secondary specialty until fourth year – if one of the specialties is not family medicine (FM), pediatrics (Peds), or internal medicine (IM). Meet with UWSOMOM Career Advising and/or your specialty career advisor to review competitiveness, MS4 electives, and, for a few specialties, away rotation planning. If you want to do an away rotation, get your CV updated, ask for a letter of recommendation, and have an idea of which programs you want to apply to. Try to start working on your Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) application now and not during Step 2 Dedicated so you don’t have to take time away from board studying!
- Reviewed by Career Advising Student Advisory BIPOC board member L’Oreal Kennedy. Originally written by BIPOC alum Shanelle Briggs.
In case you missed it, here is the previous newsletter for MS3s.