MS1 Class Information – Aug. 11, 2022

Please wait on scheduling time with Career Advising

The following is from the Career Advising team, Linh Ngo, Sarah Thomson and Tonja Brown:

Dear MS1s, MS2s and MS3s,

MS4s are currently working very hard on their residency applications. Most applications are due by Sept. 28. This means that the career advisors are extremely busy meeting with MS4s in August and September. We ask MS1s, MS2s and MS3s to please try to wait to schedule with a career advisor until Sept. 30. This ensures that MS4s have priority to book the appointments they need for their application reviews.

If you have an urgent career planning question, please email medadv@uw.edu and a career advisor will get back to you.

Thank you for your patience and understanding in this season.

Career Advising Student Advisory Board Tip of the Month 

Welcome! Every month, you’ll get a tip in this newsletter to help you stay on track from a career advising standpoint.

You’ve gotten (or will soon get) tons of emails about extracurriculars! This may seem overwhelming during FMR, but think big picture about what might interest you career-wise. If you can, try to take on a leadership position for an interest group, volunteer project, or committee!  Make sure you don’t overcommit. Picking one to two extracurriculars this year to pour into is a fantastic way to kick off med school. Pathway applications will also open this fall and can be helpful in learning how to better serve historically excluded and marginalized communities!

• Reviewed by Career Advising Student Advisory BIPOC board member L’Oreal Kennedy. Originally written by BIPOC alum Shanelle Briggs.

In case you missed it: Here is a link to the Aug. 4, 2022 Student Newsletter Information for MS1s.

Have a great week!