MS3 Class Information – Aug. 4, 2022

Seattle volunteer opportunity

The Office of Healthcare Equity is looking for early rising volunteers who’d be willing to help at the PNW African American Male Wellness Walk in Renton on this coming Saturday, Aug. 6.

UW Medicine and Valley Medical Center will be running the health screening stations for participants checking blood pressure, pulse, cholesterol/hba1c/blood sugar, and heart rate on attendees. This is a great opportunity for our medical students to get out into the community, notes Priscilla Estrada, Community and Workforce Engagement Specialist, Office of Healthcare Equity.

The team is in need for volunteers to help support the health screening stations, help attendees fill out paperwork, etc., she said.

Schedule: 6 a.m. volunteer arrival (Screenings will be done prior to the walk starting at 7 a.m.). The event ends at noon.

Location: Renton Memorial Stadium, 405 Logan Avenue N., Renton, 98057

Click here to learn more about the National African American Male Wellness Agency and the amazing work they do. Click here for the event page.

To sign up, email Priscilla Estrada here.

Career Advising Student Advisory Board – Tip of the Month

On your rotations, try to get feedback from your attendings at least once a week! Some are better at offering feedback than others. If they aren’t giving you clear steps to improve, ask “what can I be doing to start functioning as an intern?” or “what is one thing in particular I can work on next week?” Feedback fatigue is real, though, so try to see this all as helpful coaching!

• Reviewed by Career Advising Student Advisory BIPOC board member L’Oreal Kennedy. Originally written by BIPOC alum Shanelle Briggs.

In case you missed it:

Here is a link to the July 28, 2022 Weekly Student Newsletter information for MS3s.

Have a great week!