Reminder to Schedule with Your Career Advisor
Your Career Advisor invites you to schedule your required MS1 Intro to Career Planning appointment. Meet at any time from now until late May and schedule a time that complements your academic studies. Please email your Foundations site specific career advisor if you can’t find a time that works for your schedule in the coming months.
Your next steps:
- Schedule your appointment in CAS: https://uwsom-careeradv.12twenty.com/SignUp/Student. Choose MS1 Intro to Career Planning (45 min) appointment type.
- Before your appointment, please complete these two AAMC Careers in Medicine self-assessments. You’ll need about 40 minutes in total.
- Review the following website content. You’ll need about 15-20 minutes in total.
A greeting and invitation from Career Advising: Free AAMC Virtual Specialty Forum – March 31 – Register Now
The AAMC is hosting a free Virtual Specialty Forum on March 31, 2022. This is a great early career exploration activity targeting first- and second-year students, although the event is open to all students.
Last year, the registration filled up quickly, and so we urge you to reserve your spot early. Once you register you will have access to recordings, which you can watch later.
Focused on providing equitable access to specialty exposure, this free event provides content to enhance your clinical rotation experiences and specialty exposure to ground your career exploration and advising.
- Date and time: Thursday, March 31; 9-12 p.m. AK, 10–1 p.m. PT, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. MT
- Audience: Students early in their career (MS1s and MS2s) are encouraged to participate, though the event is open to all students
- Cost: There is no cost to participate
- Participating specialties: Anesthesiology, emergency medicine, family medicine, general surgery, infectious disease, internal medicine, ophthalmology, orthopaedic surgery, otolaryngology, pathology, pediatrics, preventive medicine, psychiatry, radiology, urology
- Specialty Representatives: Program directors, residents, specialty society representatives, practicing physicians, and others
We hope you can make it!
Tonja, Linh and Sarah, Career Advising
Academic Support Group Tutoring sessions for CPR are available on our Tutoring website: https://education.uwmedicine.org/student-affairs/academic-support/tutoring/. All future recordings can be found there. Contact email@example.com with any questions.
Career Advising Student Advisory Board – Tip of the Month
If you haven’t met with your Career Advisor yet, get your meeting scheduled between now and May at a time that works with your schedule! Your Career Advisor can talk with you about your specialty interests including the timing of when you’ll get connected with Specialty Advisors. Read the Extracurriculars section of the Specialty Guides for two specialties of interest to you.
Written by Career Advising Student Advisory Board member Shanelle Briggs and reviewed by a second BIPOC Board member, L’Oreal Kennedy.
In case you missed it: Here is a link to the Feb. 24, 2022 Student Newsletter Information for MS1s.