MS3 Class Information – Feb. 10, 2022

VSLO and Away Rotation Overview/Q&A 

Student Affairs and Clinical Curriculum are hosting a webinar and Q&A to help go through the entire away rotation process from applying to getting a grade for your away rotation.  We will have representation from the Registration, Clinical Curriculum and Career Advising teams to help explain the entire process.  This session will be recorded.

Tuesday, February 15, 2022

• Alaska Time: 5 to 6pm
  • Pacific Time: 6 to 7pm
  • Mountain Time: 7 to 8pm

Join Zoom Meeting: https://washington.zoom.us/j/99119489884

_____________________________________________________________________________

Gold Humanism Honor Society Nominations Now Open – Deadline February 13

The Gold Humanism Honor Society (GHHS) is preparing to select its next class of student members for the upcoming year. GHHS is a national honor society that recognizes students, residents, and faculty who are humanistic exemplars for their peers, have a commitment to service, and demonstrate the utmost professionalism in medicine.

Peer nomination is the critical first step in the selection process, so we invite you to nominate your peers for consideration. Nominations are due by February 13.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Winter Quarter 2022 MS3 Class Meeting Save the Date

We will be holding the Winter Quarter 2022 WWAMI-wide class meeting with the MS3s on Tuesday, March 1.

• Alaska Time: 5 to 6pm
  • Pacific Time: 6 to 7pm
  • Mountain Time: 7 to 8pm

An email will be sent out with the Zoom information in the near future.

Opportunity to participate as a research study subject:

Longitudinal test of communication skill training for health care providers to improve antibiotic stewardship with emerging adult patients

3rd and 4th year students are invited to participate in a study assessing an intervention to improve communication skills for discussing antibiotics with patients. Participants will be eligible for up to $100 compensation for completion of three surveys and viewing a set of short videos over a 3-month period. https://pennstate.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_bxaCO9YQglE2HUa

Career Advising Student Advisory Board – Tip of the Month

You’re almost done with the Patient Care Phase! Ideally, you have narrowed down your career choices to one to two specialties with a secondary specialty until 4th year if one of the specialties is not FM, Peds or IM. Meet with SOM Career Advising and/or your Specialty Career Advisor to review competitiveness, MS4 electives, and (for a few specialties) away rotation planning. If you want to do an away rotation, get your CV updated, ask for a letter of recommendation, and have an idea of which programs you want to apply to.
I waited until Step 2 Dedicated time to work on my VSAS application, and it took SO much time away from my board studying! Start it earlier to take that pressure off.

Written by Career Advising Student Advisory Board member, Shanelle Briggs and reviewed by a second BIPOC Board member, L’Oreal Kennedy.

In case you missed it:

Here is a link to the Feb. 3, 2022 Student Newsletter information for MS3s.