MS3 Class Information – December 16, 2021

Printable PDF

Financial Aid

Idaho WWAMI Students: Your Idaho RPIP fee will be billed in winter quarter and the cost has been added to your winter quarter budget. Look out for an email from Melissa Carleton (melissa.carleton@osbe.idaho.gov) for payment instructions.

Pisacano Leadership Foundation Scholarship

• Due Date: May 1, 2022
  • Amount: Up to 10 scholarships with a maximum value of $28,000 each for 2022-23 academic year
  • Requirements: Students who will be an MS4 in Fall 2022 and have made a commitment to Family Medicine
  • For more information, visit their website

Travel and Housing During the Explore & Focus Phase

The WWAMI Student Travel team has received many questions lately about travel and housing arrangements during the Explore & Focus phase, especially regarding what the School will provide or reimburse for APC and Subintership rotations. How WWAMI travel and housing works in the 4th-year E&F phase can seem confusing, but it follows the same rules that are used during the Patient Care Phase. The School is allowed to reimburse students for travel/housing for required clerkships only.

The Neurology and Emergency Medicine clerkships are requirements, so students taking those rotations away from their official duty stations will be reimbursed for travel and housing will be either provided or reimbursed in the same manner it is for the Patient Care Phase.

APC and Subinternship rotations are not as straightforward, but the rule is that the School can support travel/housing for the APC and Subinternships that are recorded as required credits on the Graduation Audit Report (GAR). Per School policy, only the first APC and Subinternships attended during the E&F phase count as required credits on the GAR. This means that the School can only pay for travel/housing for the first APC/Sub-I rotations that appear on your schedule.

If you have, for example, your first APC at your official duty station, that is the course that will appear as a requirement on your GAR. If you have a second APC away from your official duty station, it will not be recorded on your GAR as a requirement, and the School cannot support your travel/housing costs. You should do whatever you can to schedule APCs and Sub-Is that involve travel early in your E&F year. The School’s policies do not allow us to pay for travel/housing for non-required APC/Sub-I rotations even if the School did not pay for travel/housing for an earlier APC/Sub-I. Only the first APC and Subinternships attended during the E&F phase can be reimbursed for housing/travel.

You can find all of the WWAMI Student Travel policies here: https://sites.uw.edu/gowwami/, and if you still have questions you can contact the WWAMI Student Travel team at gowwami@uw.edu.

Career Advising Student Advisory Board – Tip of the Month

As you’re finalizing 4th year schedules, here are a few things to consider!

1. If you are considering/exploring various specialties, make sure you schedule them early (spring, early summer)! You can always save neuro and EM for last if you don’t think you’ll pursue them as a career.
  2. Bear in mind that you should give letter writers at least a month to write your letters (so by sometime in August). You can totally use letters from 3rd year rotations! If you’re planning to do this, ask attendings about it now/when grades come out in case they prefer to do it when you’re fresher in their minds. Away rotation applications do require a letter if you plan to apply this spring.
  3. If you’re going into a competitive specialty or want to go to a competitive program, these upcoming months need to be really strategic (research, Step 2 score, extracurriculars), so talk with your specialty career advisor (https://education.uwmedicine.org/career-advising/specialty-guides/)!

Written by Career Advising Student Advisory Board member, Shanelle Briggs and reviewed by a second BIPOC Board member, L’Oreal Kennedy.

In case you missed it:

Here is a link to the Dec. 09, 2021 Student Newsletter Information for MS3s.