MS2 CLASS INFORMATION – DECEMBER 09, 2021

(Printable PDF)

Academic Support

Academic Support wants to share the following information and reminders as you prepare for Step 1:

1. All students should have completed their registration and received their permit except for those who have applied for accommodations. If you have not completed your registration, please contact your learning specialist.
  2. We encourage you to schedule to meet with your learning specialist to create a study plan or review a study plan that you’ve already created. Schedule a time to meet with your learning specialist.
  3. Step 1 study plan templates can be found and uploaded on our Step 1 website.
  4. Step 1 tutoring groups are available now through March 9. Reserve your spot on our tutoring website

Y2Q Update

Hello everyone: Wow, this week’s response rate passed the 50% mark and we are now at 50.4%! The national average is 40.1% and this is the strongest response rate I have ever seen from the school. Thank you, E20 students!!

At the regional campus level, a huge thank you to our students in Montana (33.3% vs. 56.7% this week) and Alaska (30% to 50%) for making great strides toward increasing your response rates! Spokane students’ response rate also increased from 45.8% to 57.6%, followed by Idaho (37.5% vs. 42.5%), Seattle (45.5% vs. 47.5%), and Wyoming (unchanged at 50%). If you have already started the survey, please take some time to complete the rest.

We have only a few weeks left before the survey closes on January 3, 2022.

We will do random drawings of the following prizes to encourage your participation:

• Two $50 items you select from Amazon
  • Eight $25 items you select from Amazon
  • Six $50-value WWAMI gift packs

The drawings will take place after the survey closes and if your name is picked, we will ask for the AAMC receipt of survey completion. Please keep a record of it!

Please note AAMC sends the survey link to your email (Contact Y2Q@aamc.org to request the link).

Thank you everyone for your help and look forward to updating you next week.

Sara Kim, Ph.D.

Research Professor, Department of Surgery

Associate Dean for Educational Quality Improvement

Preclinical Town Hall Recording Available

The recording of the preclinical Town Hall held earlier this week is now available for those who were unable to attend.

Career Advising Student Advisory Board – Tip of the Month

My partner and I were reminiscing on Step 1 and felt this tip should be focused on how we did our best to maintain wellness throughout it! Here are a few things we did that helped:

1. Take winter break off!! Put the flash cards down, close the books, and do something that will rejuvenate you. Hopefully by the end of this (at least 2 week) break, you’ll actually be excited to hit the books!
  2. Take one day off a week! It’s helpful to physically go somewhere that is not your home/study space. We went skiing and to a fun dinner once a week!
  3. Use academic support services (https://education.uwmedicine.org/student-affairs/academic-support/)! If you’re feeling overwhelmed, scores aren’t improving for a while, etc., meet with them to re-evaluate your plan. There is no perfect study plan, and you’ll have to be adaptable, so just go into it with an open mind.

Written by Career Advising Student Advisory Board member, Shanelle Briggs and reviewed by a second BIPOC Board member, L’Oreal Kennedy.

In case you missed it:

Here is a link to the December 02, 2021 Student Newsletter content for MS2s.