MS2 Class Information – October 28, 2021

Nov. 8 Comprehensive Basic Science Exam – Workstation Certification Test

All MS2 students will be taking the CBSE on Monday, November 8. You must download the NBME secure browser and run the certification check prior to the exam. Please do this prior to your MBB exam on 11/5, as there will not be technical assistance over the weekend, and limited technical support the morning of the exam. Questions? Contact somtests@uw.edu.

UW Privacy, Confidentiality, and Information Security Agreement Compliance Deadline:  Sunday, 11/15/21

UW Medicine requires all medical students to learn how to properly safeguard confidential information and comply with standards for personal accountability for data stewardship.

Please complete the UW Privacy, Confidentiality, and Information Security Agreement requirement in the To-Do List of your Castlebranch account.

This is an annual SOM and UW Medicine compliance requirement.  All students, including concurrent degree/MSTP students and students on a leave of absence, are required to maintain compliance.

Castlebranch will prompt you to do the following in order to meet the UW Medicine Data Stewardship requirements:

1. View the Personal Accountability slides (linked in your To-Do List and also attached here).  There are 18 slides plus some resources pages.  The main points are:

1. ENCRYPT your devices, never leave PHI in your car
    2. Watch out for phishing
    3. Don’t talk about patients on social media, even if you don’t mention names
    4. If an unencrypted device that is storing PHI is lost or stolen it is bad, very bad (UW subject to investigations, fines, lawsuits, sanctions etc.)

2. Once done viewing the slides, download and complete the PCISA form downloaded from your CastleBranch Compliance Tracker.

1. Fill in these fields as such:
    • Department:  SOM
    • Job Title:  Medical Student
    • Supervisor: Laura Ellis

***When you complete the Fillable PCISA 2021 Form, please hit “Export-Save As PDF File” with your Last name, First name, PCISA 2021. The form will not save as completed, unless you hit “export- save as”.

• Upload the signed form to your UW71 CastleBranch Compliance Tracker by 11/15/21. Make sure your UW Student ID Number is on the form. Please monitor your submission to make sure it is approved.

3. If you have follow-up questions on how to encrypt your devices, please reference the following UW Medicine ITS Security webpage at https://depts.washington.edu/uwmedsec/ OR email SOM Academic and Learning Technologies group at somalt@uw.edu.

Thanks very much for completing the training and encrypting your devices.  Feel free to contact us with any questions.

DEADLINE:  11/15/21

Career Advising Student Advisory Board – Tip of the Month

This month, I want to share an opportunity for career exploration and mentorship! UWSOM’s Alumni Association invites you to participate in SAID (Student-Alumni Informational Discussions). It’s your chance to connect with alumni and a small group of fellow students over Zoom or in person – they have a lot of available sessions in a wide range of specialties for you to join! Register today at https://events.uw.edu/d/0mqc51/!

Written by Career Advising Student Advisory Board member, Shanelle Briggs and reviewed by a second BIPOC Board member, L’Oreal Kennedy.

In case you missed it:

There were no updates in the October 21, 2021 Weekly Student Newsletter for MS2s.