- Career Advisors FAQ: Overview of advice on specialties from Departmental Career Advisors.
- Residency Application Process
- AAMC Careers in Medicine website: Comprehensive online repository of curated tools, guides, databases, and resources designed for medical students and residents
- AAMC’s Careers in Medicine PDF: Four-step Career Planning Process & MS1-4 Checklist.
- NRMP Charting Outcomes in the Match: Biennial report highlighting the characteristics of students and graduates that contribute to a program’s overall assessment of an applicant.
Foundations Phase Resources
The following resources support MS 1 and 2 students as they take the first two steps in the career planning process: Understand Yourself and Explore Your Options.
- Preceptorships and Shadowing: an excellent way of preparing for board examinations and clinical training
- Student Organizations: learn about UWSOM student organizations that are dedicated to getting students familiar and connected with medical specialties.
- Dr. Karen Souter Career Coaching: Dr. Souter offers individual coaching sessions for students interested in exploring their career choices and framing their decision-making process.
- Career Exploration Resources Handout: an overview of key resources.
- Clinical and Research Opportunities: AAMC’s CiM database of clinical and research opportunities.
- Informational Interview Questions: use these questions as you interview physicians in different specialties to learn more about their career paths.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) Resources: resources as you develop your CV, includes sample CV’s and templates
- Transition to Clerkships: Laying the Foundation for Residency Application: presentation explains important career planning factors to consider as students begin their clinical rotations.
Patient Care Resources
The following resources support MS 3 students in the career planning process of Choosing Your Specialty
- Clinical Rotation Evaluation Worksheet: this worksheet supports self-reflection on each clinical rotation to assist in specialty choice.
- Advanced Patient Care Clerkships (APCs): In this webinar, Co-Clerkship Directors of the Advanced Patient Care Clerkships answer common questions of the Explore and Focus Phase requirements, describe key terms, how to choose APCs and identify resources.
- Start Writing Your Personal Statement
Explore & Focus Resources
- NRMP – National Residency Matching Program Includes charting outcomes in the Match, data on the number of residency slots vs. the number of candidates applying, a review of the factors that influence acceptance into each specialty, average Step I scores, etc.
- San Francisco Match – the matching program for ophthalmology.
- Urology Match – the matching program for Urology
- 2020 Match Results from the UW School of Medicine
- 2019 Match results from the UW School of Medicine
- 2018 Match results from the UW School of Medicine
- 2017 Match results from the UW School of Medicine
- 2016 Match results from the UW School of Medicine
- 2015 Match results from the UW School of Medicine