As part of the residency interview process, programs send applicants copies of residency contracts to review. Familiarize yourself with the following resources as you review residency contracts and benefits packages. This will help you compare programs as part of your rank order list decision-making process.
University of Washington Student Legal Services is an on-campus law office that provides consultation for students who have legal questions or concerns.
You are eligible to use their services for a residency contract review if:
- The residency is not part of the University of Washington system
- You are enrolled for the current quarter and have paid the UW Services and Activities fee
It’s unclear if Student Legal Services can review contracts for residency programs outside of Washington State. You are encouraged to start the intake process so your request may be reviewed.
Additional residency contract review resources that may be of help:
- The King County Bar Association’s Neighborhood Legal Clinics offer free legal assistance to King County residents and Washington State residents with legal issues in King County
- University of Washington Office of Human Resources, Labor Relations provides information on Academic and Fellow Physician Unions for UW School of Medicine and UW School of Dentistry
- Washington State Human Resources Information for positions employed by the State of Washington
- Washington Law Help provides resources for employment related issues
The following articles provide helpful background and tips to consider when considering residency contracts
- How to Find an Academic Position After Residency: Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How
- Written by Bonnie Simpson Mason, MD, Alden Landry, MD, MPH, John P. Sánchez, MD, MPH, Valerie N. Williams, PhD, MPA
- AMA provides information on understanding employment contracts
- While most of the information on their public site is for an attending’s first job, but there is some information on residency contracts in the “members only” content
- Make Your Own Rank List: How to Consider Salary, Benefits, and Union Representation in Deciding Where to Train [Jan. 2021 slideshow]
- Salary & Contract Negotiations [Jan. 19, 2021 video]
- Guest speaker Tom Reinhardt, CEO of Cascade Medical Center, discusses salaries and contract negotiations for healthcare providers.
- Presented by Business of Medicine Interest Group