Career Advising is available throughout your time in medical school to discuss career planning and your specialty decision. All incoming students are assigned a Career Advisor. Schedule a meeting with your Career Advisor at least once during your first year to get started on your career planning.
Students typically meet with their Career Advisor at these times:
MS1: Autumn for planning summer activities
MS2: Spring after Step 1 to plan your Patient Care elective block, and discuss specialty exploration and residency
MS3: Autumn for 4th year planning
MS4: Summer for residency application planning
The Career Advising team looks forward to working with you. Schedule with Career Advising to:
- Understand the career planning process
- Think through your involvement activities
- Develop a plan to explore specialties & career fields
- Locate specialty, career and residency information
- Think through specialty and career decisions
- Connect with Specialty Career Advisors (SCAs)
- Develop your CV, personal statement and interview skills
- Prepare your residency application
When you schedule a 1:1 meeting with a Career Advisor, you will be prompted to select one of the following appointment types:
- General Career Advising: Advising on career planning, exploring specialty & career interests, specialty decision making, career planning steps and timeline, referral to resources, specialty advisors, faculty & students, residency application
- Quick Question: Short, 15 minute check-in meetings
- MS3 4th Year Planning (only for MS3s): Discussion of specialty interests and decision making, review of Explore & Focus schedule for specialty exploration and residency application, planning with multiple specialties, dual application, referral to Specialty Career Advisors
- CV Review: Review of CV content and formatting for scholarships, away rotations, residency application, etc. We ask the students try to attend a CV Group Review Session first and if they are unavailable during the scheduled time, to then book a 1-1 appointment
- Expansion/Leave: Discussion of timing and impact for specialty exploration and residency application.
- Residency Application Review (for MS4s): Review of application content and formatting (e.g. ERAS, SF Match, MODS)
- SOAP Prep Session (for MS4s): Discussion of back up options, review of SOAP week schedule & application components, referral to specialty advisors, identification of support team
Schedule with a Career Advisor
Monday – Friday by Zoom or phone.
Prepare for your meeting by:
- Reflecting on your specialty interests, career goals, and current involvement
- Noting your questions
- Taking the AAMC Careers in Medicine Self-Assessments (once per year)
First time logging into the new appointment system, CAS? Read these registration instructions
Don’t see a time that works for you? Email us at email@example.com
Monday – Thursday, 12:00 – 1:00 p.m. PT
Good for 10-15 minute conversations. Zoom Meeting ID: 761 975 716
Additional Office Hours are offered for specific Foundation sites.
Additional Career Advising Services
Our team is here to help you as you edit your CV.
Step 2: Sign up for a Group Review Session
- Fridays: 12:00-12:30 pm PT
- Offered December – August
If a Group Review Session does not work for you, schedule a 1:1 appointment with your Career Advisor.
As you write personal statements for residency applications and other opportunities, we will help you with the editing process.
Step 2: After you have started drafting and editing, Career Advising will assist you:
- Between June – September: formal review process in advance of residency applications
- Details posted in late Spring
- During the rest of the year: schedule a 1:1 meeting with your Career Advisor