The process of applying to residency, completing interviews, and relocating to your residency program can be costly.
Depending on your unique circumstances (couples matching, applying to preliminary and advanced programs, dual applying, etc.), your total residency application costs may vary widely.
The AAMC provides information on the cost of applying for medical residency. This page also includes a downloadable calculator to help you keep track of costs affiliated with submitting your application.
Application fees for ERAS and the SF Match vary based on the number of programs you apply to per specialty. Both charge a base fee for the first 10 programs, and then charge an increasing fee for each additional program you apply to. To discourage students from blanket applying to too many programs, the cost per program increases as you add more programs to your list.
- SF match registration fee: $100 (this includes your match fee)
For those applying to Ophthalmology: You will also be applying in ERAS for preliminary programs, so you will need to factor that cost into your calculations. The SF Match also charges additional costs if you submit applications in multiple waves rather than all at once.
To project an estimate of the amount that you will spend on applications, you can utilize the ERAS Residency Calculator tool. Note that this does not include any costs other than those affiliated with submitting your application.
Following is a breakdown of the average amount spent by UW students on applications fees in the last few years. These numbers are not updated for the current match cycle.
IMPORTANT TO KEEP IN MIND WHEN REVIEWING THE INFO BELOW:
- You must consult with your Specialty Career Advisor to determine the number and type of programs that are appropriate for your specific needs.
- The average count of applications you see here should not be used as an advising tool. These are NOT target numbers for you to apply to. This number is only provided to provide context for the average application fee total. The number of programs that you should apply to will vary by the competitiveness of you, your specialty, and the programs you are selecting within that specialty. Consult with your Specialty Career Advisor.
- Many students choose to over-apply and submit more applications than recommended by their SCA.
Additionally, you will be required to pay fees for copies of your UW transcript and your USMLE transcript. The USMLE transcript cost will be charged via ERAS when you submit your applications.
- UW transcript: $11
- USMLE transcript: $80
- Learn more about maximizing your loans and what additional costs can be added to your MS4 budget to support application and interview travel costs.
- General costs and finance process related to expenses incurred during interview season
- Start at 57 minutes and 11 seconds