Career Advising maintains a Mediasite Video Library that covers topics such as:
- Exploring career options while in medical school
- Learning more about medical specialties
- Deciding upon a specialty
- How to approach medical residency applications
Especially in the Foundations years, when the time to dedicate to career exploration may be limited, watching recordings is a great way to increase your knowledge about specialties and career paths. These videos contain advice from experts such as Specialty Career Advisors, UW Residency Program Directors, residents, and physicians.
Videos are arranged into the following folders:
4th Year Planning
- Start planning your clerkship and elective schedule in preparation for your 4th year and residency application. For more information, visit the Guide to 4th Year Planning website
Applying to Residency
- Learn about the application process and resources. For more information, visit the Guide to Residency Application website
Career and Specialty Exploration
Writing a CV
- Watch Career Advising’s 3-part CV for the Medical Student video series. For more information, visit the CV website
Early Career Planning
- Focus on early career exploration, starting in the Foundations years and continuing throughout medical school. More information on suggested activities and timeline for career planning can be found in the Choosing a Career area of the website.
Writing a Personal Statement
- Watch Career Advising’s 2-part Personal Statement for the Medical Student video series. Some information is specific to residency applications but the writing and editing process is applicable to any personal statement you write during medical school. For more information, visit the Personal Statement website.
Videos related to
Further, we encourage everyone to review the Success in Medical School Video Series, presented by the Family Medicine Interest Group (FMIG).
Specialty & Career Exploration Videos from Partner Offices
Visit the MediaSite Channel to view career-related Specialty Interest Group recordings
Learning about specialties from panels of residents, Program Directors and physicians is an important component of meaningful career exploration.
Are you part of a registered UWSOM or WWAMI Specialty Interest Group? Would you like your group’s recordings added to this Library? View instructions on how to do so.
Visit the UWSOM Family Medicine Interest Group (FMIG) video library
Videos focus on understanding the family medicine specialty, advising, residency application and clerkships.
Further, you will find the Success in Medical School Video Series, which we encourage all medical students to check out.
Visit the UWSOM Emergency Medicine Interest Group (EMIG) and Wilderness Medicine Interest Group (WMIG) video library
Videos focus on understanding the specialty, advising, residency application and clerkships.
Visit the UW Department of Emergency Medicine YouTube channel
The UW Department of Emergency Medicine offers recordings providing insight into EM and the UW EM Residency Program.
The UWSOM chapter of Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) offers a number of specialty videos in two video libraries.
Each video was created by a current MS4 who applied and matched in a particular field. It is important to note that the videos have not been reviewed by Specialty Career Advisors and are meant to expose a large number of students to a career field and provide information about what they found to be helpful when applying/interviewing.
The Specialty Career Advisors have provided core advice and contact information in the Specialty Guides.
Visit the 2019-2021 videos highlighting 15 specialties
Anesthesiology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Emergency Medicine, Family Medicine, General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery (ENT), Pediatrics, Plastic Surgery, Urology, Vascular Surgery
Visit the 2016-2018 videos highlighting 18 specialties
Anesthesiology, Dermatology, Family Medicine, Emergency Medicine, General Surgery, Internal Medicine, Medicine-Pediatrics, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, Orthopaedic Surgery, Otolaryngology, Pediatrics, PM&R, Psychiatry, Radiology, Urology, Vascular Surgery