The Summer Medical Dental Education Program (SMDEP) at the University of Washington is a six-week enrichment program for talented underrepresented students interested in medicine or dentistry. It is designed to meet two important objectives, involving several components:
- Exposure to the fields of medicine/dentistry.
- Operating room observation
- Emergency room observation
- Suture clinic
- Simulation clinic (Dental)
- Migrant camp visits
- Workshops on admissions, financial aid and the application process
- Lectures in health care
- Mentor visits with doctors/dentists in the community .
- Academic components.
- Biology (micro and general)
- Chemistry (organic and general)
- And more!
- Cultural Competency
- Current Events
- Social activities and receptions
- The sights of Seattle
- Fourth of July picnic
- Weekend daytrips
- SMDEP Admissions season begins November 1st.
- SMDEP Admissions deadline is March 1.
- Find out more about The Center for Equity, Diversity & Inclusion.
How to apply
Apply using the online application. Ten campuses around the country offer SMDEP between late May and early August each year.
How participants are chosen
- Be in your freshman or Sophomore year.
- Demonstrate a serious interest in medicine/dentistry.
- Be from one of the following underrepresented/ underserved groups:
- African American
- American Indian / Alaska Native / Native Hawaiian
- All Hispanic groups:
- Mexican American
- Mainland Puerto Rican
- Commonwealth Puerto Rican
- Other Hispanic
- Disadvantaged / Underserved of any background.
- U.S. citizenship or permanent resident.
- Students accepted into this program will be limited to one summer of participation.
- Each SMDEP site makes its own selections and have flexibility to respond to individual applicants and local needs on a case-by-case basis.
UW Seattle SMDEP site
We offer students real exposure to the medical field, as well as preparation for the upcoming medical school experience. In addition to this the University of Washington site offers other valuable benefits:
- Round trip travel (as budget allows).
- $400 stipend to defray costs while staying in Seattle.
- Informal opportunities to network with professionals at several receptions and dinners throughout the program.
- Housing and food provided on campus while you are in Seattle.
- A perfect setting for summer outdoor recreation with:
- abundant parks and recreational sites in town.
- museums, live theater, and a variety of entertainment venues.
- access to wilderness areas from mountains to the ocean.
- a multitude of fairs and festivals in Seattle and the surrounding suburbs throughout the summer.
What our students say
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to participate in the Minority Medical Education Program (now called SMDEP). I experienced new things while I was in this, program. Things that people never even dream of. I gained new knowledge and great preparation skills… Thanks for making this program available to students like me. It was a great feeling to know that I wasn’t alone. I thank you and your staff for making it all possible.