Deadline: The UWSOM deadline for documenting that you have received the annual influenza vaccination is Oct. 1, 2022.
When you can document your vaccination: The flu shot renewal in your Castlebranch (CB) account “To Do List” will populate on Sept. 10, which is 21 days prior to the deadline. You can get your flu shot any time between now and Sept. 10; however, you will not be able to upload the document to your CB account until Sept. 10.
The requirement: Annual influenza vaccines are a UWSOM compliance requirement. Please make sure to receive a flu shot and upload your documentation to your Castlebranch (CB) account by Oct. 1, 2022. It is recommended that you upload your document at least three days prior to the Oct. 1 deadline to ensure the submission is reviewed and approved in your account by the deadline.
The flu vaccine may be given at any time regardless of when COVID vaccines are administered.
Where to get it:
- Flu vaccine may not be available through clinics and provider offices yet; however, the flu vaccine is available through many local pharmacies (such as Rite Aid, CVS, Bartell’s, Fred Meyer, Safeway, QFC, etc.).
- For Seattle-based students, Hall Health (the UW student health clinic in Seattle) has just received a shipment of flu vaccine and is currently scheduling appointments. Call 206-685-1011 to schedule a flu vaccine through Hall Health.
How to pay for it: Most insurance types are accepted at local pharmacies and at Hall Health, but students should ask to confirm their insurance is taken when they call.
Waivers: Flu waivers are given for CDC-recognized medical contraindications only. Please note that an egg allergy is NOT a contraindication as there are several egg-free flu vaccines available.
Documentation: Your flu vaccine documentation needs to include the following information:
- Your first and last names
- Date vaccine was administered during the current influenza season (Aug 2022 – June 2023)
- Type of vaccine (influenza)
- The source of the record must be indicated (pharmacy/clinic name, registry print out, etc).
Where can I get a flu shot?
Ask your Foundations campus if flu shots are available on your campus or refer to the Healthcare Resources page on the Health Sciences Immunization Program (HSIP) website which lists resources across the 5-state region.
Can I be reimbursed by the SOM or HSIP for my flu shot?
Where do I send my flu document?
Please upload your document to your Castlebranch account after Sept. 10, 2022, when the renewal populates in your account. Your status must be compliant on the CB website by Oct. 1, 2022.
Can I get my flu shot and my COVID vaccine at that same time?
Yes, however, a combined flu/COVID vaccine is not yet available, so they are still separate immunizations.
How do I get an updated “Immunizations Summary Sheet/Results Document” in CastleBranch once the flu vaccine is accepted?
To access your “Results” document on your CastleBranch account:
- Go to “Document Center” on the side bar
- Select “My Documents”
- Select “HSIP Requirements UX54: MD”. The document has a long list of numbers following the word “Results”, i.e. Results_3428574629393958638
- Click the “Need Help” button if you can’t find it. Select the Video FAQ titled “Compliance Summary Report”.
I’m having trouble uploading my document and have been on hold with Castlebranch for two hours. What should I do?
Hang up and call 206-543-5560. If you have questions about the vaccine itself which need to be answered by a qualified healthcare provider, email HSIP at email@example.com.
Castlebranch rejected my document because it didn’t have my name on it. Do I need to ask my provider for another document including these details?
When is the deadline?
Oct. 1, 2022. Your status must be compliant on the CB website by Oct. 1, 2022 so submit your document at least three days prior to the deadline.